The organizing committee for the Academy of Veterinary Behavior Technicians (AVBT) and the Society of Veterinary Behavior Technicians (SVBT) scholarship committee are proud to offer the AVBT "Faith" Scholarship to the Dog Trainer Professional program at Karen Pryor Academy for Animal Training & Behavior.
The scholarship is named after Faith, the service dog trained using clicker training methods for Julie Shaw's son Dylan. Faith died of lymphosarcoma at the age of six, but her memory will live on through the recipients of the "Faith" scholarship.
Three or four scholarships will be awarded annually, each valued at $2,000. Karen Pryor Academy will award $800 towards the tuition. The scholarship recipient is responsible for the remaining $2,500 tuition fee. The SVBT scholarship committee, along with the AVBT board of regents, will select a recipient who has demonstrated a commitment to advancing the role of the veterinary technician in the discipline of animal behavior and has a desire and the ability to pursue his or her Veterinary Technician Specialist-Behavior (VTS-Behavior) credentials.
- Must be accepted into the Dog Trainer Professional program at Karen Pryor Academy before applying for the AVBT "Faith" Scholarship.
- Must be able to travel to a workshop series/location in the continental United States and be responsible for his or her own travel expenses.
- Must have graduated from an accredited veterinary technician program or be a credentialed veterinary technician.
- Must be a SVBT member in good standing for a minimum of one year.
- Must have been in practice for a minimum of two years.
- Must submit a Faith Scholarship application at least 3 months in advance of enrollment deadline. See the class schedule.
- Must have an ultimate goal of becoming a VTS-Behavior, and meeting those proposed requirements (see www.avbt.net for details).
- Click here to view scheduled workshop dates.
- Apply to Karen Pryor Academy's Dog Trainer Professional program, specifying that you wish to be considered for the AVBT "Faith" Scholarship.
- Upon notification that your application to Karen Pryor Academy has been accepted, request a scholarship application.
- Follow the instructions to submit your application and these items:
- A letter describing why you feel you should be a candidate for the "Faith" scholarship
- Two letters of reference from veterinary professionals
- Two letters of reference from clients you have worked with specifically in animal training or animal behavior
Your scholarship information will be reviewed by both the SVBT scholarship committee and the Academy of Veterinary Behavior Technicians. You will be notified no later than two months before the first workshop.