Are puppy socialization classes just an excuse to play?
No way! There's a reason Puppy Start Right for Instructors (PSRI) is quickly becoming the gold standard for professionals like you who want to offer puppy classes. Actually, there are 10 reasons!*
"Jam-packed with everything you need! I am now confidently prepared and proud to provide a fun, convenient, and quality learning experience for new owners and their puppies."
- Tammy Bourgoyne
- Double payoff. Use our ready-made curriculum to teach classes where puppies and their owners learn, grow, and have fun together. An educated client is both your best customer and the best caretaker for a puppy.
- Help for problem puppies. If a puppy requires special help, early intervention is best. PSRI is designed specifically to help prevent common problems before they start, to help you identify early signs of more serious concerns, and to help you handle them.
- Be the early bird. The first trainer clients see is the trainer they are most likely to come back to. With a puppy-focused class, you'll get earlier access to clients than any other class offering, providing the best opportunity to create a lasting relationship with owners and their dogs. Trainers will also find that puppy classes offer a great opportunity to open or deepen the relationship with a veterinary practice, and you'll learn how to get great referrals.
- Unique perspective. PSRI was designed by a veterinarian (husband) and vet tech/dog trainer (wife) team. The course offers a unique approach that combines veterinary expertise with dog training expertise. You get a fully rounded perspective on puppy training, socialization, and physical development. You'll also learn to how to team up with veterinarians. Puppy Start Right is already being offered in forward-thinking veterinary practices across the U.S.
- Ready, set, go! Our weekly themed puppy classes don't take up lots of room or require expensive equipment, so they are easy to set up and operate. The PSRI course comes with complete lesson plans, homework assignments, and more. You can even get a complete online video package to supplement your classes. The video lets your clients attend orientation online and learn and practice at home, too.
- Smart investment. You are likely to make back your investment in the PSRI course with the first class you sign up. No kidding! Plus, we do all the thinking so you don't have to. Your course includes the complete four-week Puppy Start Right Preschool™ curriculum, worksheets, handouts, post-course support, customizable marketing materials, supporting documents, ready-made homework assignments, and an hour-long orientation presentation, including instructor notes to make teaching and marketing your classes a breeze! You'll also earn CEUs from Karen Pryor Academy, CCPDT, IAABC, and RACE (Veterinarian and Veterinary Technician).
- Karen Pryor-guaranteed. PSRI is the only puppy course reviewed and approved by Karen Pryor Clicker Training, the leader in effective, positive training education. The classes you'll learn to teach are guaranteed to be developmentally appropriate, 100% force-free, and fun for teachers, students, and puppies!
- Comprehensive. The course covers puppy socialization, growth and development, basic foundation training using positive reinforcement, and puppy problems like house soiling, jumping up, and chewing. You'll also learn problem-solving and prevention, learning theory, an overview of common diseases and how to prevent them, how to market your puppy socialization classes, and how to implement our unique Puppy Start Right curriculum. Nearly 100 high-quality videos and plenty of "off-screen" exercises will keep you engaged! View the course guide >
- Top-notch teachers. This course is taught by KPA faculty member Debbie Martin, RVT, VTS (Behavior), CPDT-KA, KPA CTP, and her veterinarian husband Kenneth M. Martin, DVM, Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Behaviorists. They are the authors of this course and of the highly regarded book Puppy Start Right: Foundation Training for the Companion Dog. In addition to their support, the course comes with support from peers (both during and after the course). Learn more >
- Convenient. Take the course online, at home, on your schedule, at your own pace. The course is typically completed within 12 weeks, but some students take a little longer and some finish in less time. Either way, you are in control of your learning.