Who Should Take This Course
This course is for those who wish to begin teaching puppy socialization classes, or those who already do but would like to be more informed and better able to market themselves. Whether you are a veterinarian or veterinary technician looking to expand your client offerings, a dog trainer who currently teaches puppy classes but would like to be more successful at it, or are looking to start teaching puppy classes but aren't sure where to start, this course is for you!
This course is designed for instructors who either wish to teach or currently teach puppy socialization classes. While there are no specific prerequisites, we recommend that students have been working with dogs in some capacity already - either as a dog trainer, veterinarian or vet tech, shelter worker, dog walker, or pet sitter.
This course is taught by Debbie Martin, RVT, VTS (Behavior), CPDT-KA, KPA CTP and Kenneth M. Martin, DVM, Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists, the authors of Puppy Start Right: Foundation Training for the Companion Dog.
Puppy Start Right for Instructors features cutting-edge content with a unique approach that combines veterinary expertise with dog training expertise. The course covers: puppy socialization, growth and development, basic foundation training using positive reinforcement, problem solving and prevention, learning theory, an overview of common diseases and how to prevent them, how to market a puppy socialization class, and how to apply our unique Puppy Start Right Preschool™ curriculum.
The course is divided into 10 lessons that feature:
- 87 high-quality videos
- 20 training activities and supporting articles
- 10 customizable marketing and support documents
- 4 comprehensive weekly lessons with accompanying instructor notes
- Orientation slide presentation with accompanying instructor notes
- Optional, time-saving online supplement you can use for your clients
Students proceed through the course at their own pace and will receive access to the course for one year upon enrollment.
Three types of support are available: support from the teacher, support from peers, and in-course support.
- One-on-one support is included in the cost of course tuition.
- Support from peers occurs within the discussion forums provided through the course's online classroom. Your instructors monitor and participate in these forum discussions.
- In-course support includes an online glossary, an FAQ section, and a digital library - all accessible to students throughout their enrollment in the course.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
Students of the Puppy Start Right for Instructors course can receive CEUs for completion of the course.
Karen Pryor Academy (KPA) awards 21 KPA CEUs.
The Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers (CCPDT) awards 21 CEUs.
The International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants (IAABC) awards 21 CEUs.
This program was reviewed and approved by AAVSB RACE program for 18 hours of continuing education in jurisdictions which recognize AAVSB RACE approval. Please contact the AAVSB RACE program if you have any comments/concerns regarding this program’s validity or relevancy to the veterinary profession.
Enroll online and begin the course any time after you enroll. Once you've completed the enrollment process, you will be given access to the course and can begin right away!
Learn more about Tuition and Payment >
- A computer with high-speed Internet access
- A modern web browser. We test with the latest versions of: Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari and Opera
- Support for Adobe PDF documents (the latest version of Adobe Reader or Mac OS X Preview)
- Temporary access to a video recorder such as a camcorder, cell phone, digital camera with video option, or webcam (recommended, but not required)
- Access to a dog you can train regularly
- Occasional help from a human assistant
Required Training Supplies
NOTE: The KPA Student Pack from KPCT contains everything needed to complete course exercises. Already a great value at $39.95, KPA students can purchase this pack at a discounted rate by entering the promo code located near the beginning of the course.
Get more detailed info on what you'll need for the course (PDF).